Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Poetic Edda

The Poetic Edda


Do you know how to cut them, know how to stain them,

Know how to read them how to understand?
Do you know how to evoke them, how to send them,
Know how to offer, know how to ask?


It is better not to offer than to offer too much
For a gift demands a gift,
Better not to slay than to slay too many.

Thus did Odin speak before the earth began
When he rose up in after time.


These runes I know, unknown to kings’ wives
Or any earthly man.

‘Help’ one is called,
For help is its gift,
and helped you will be
In sickness and care and sorrow.




Another I know;  which all will need
Who would study leechcraft.

On the bark scratch them, on the bole of trees
Whose boughs bend to the east.

I know a third
If my need be great in battle
It dulls the swords of deadly foes,
Neither wiles nor weapons wound me
And I go all unscathed …


***


Joanne Walmsley       Sacred Scribes




3 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this...:) I am looking for guest bloggers on my tarot and rune site. Would you be interested to contribute? You will of course get full credits for your blog post and get a back link to this site. Let me know...inger@tarotwikipedia.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for all of your guidance. You truly are a light within my journey. you are appreciated beautiful soul, thank you. Sending you love and light x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your article. Would you consider link to my runic reading?

    ReplyDelete